This year has been a hectic one to say the least. I feel like I’ve done so much all in one go, I’m kinda wondering how 2018 is going to match up! So here are 17 things I did in 2017, and 18 things I’d like to achieve in 2018!
( Also I know the year isn’t over yet but I’ve got so much blogmas content that I wanna get this out now haha!)
17 things I did in 2017:
Got my tattoo sleeve started
I’d wanted a tattoo sleeve for around a year and I’d booked in for my consultation with Antony Flemming in 2016 (he’s that good he’s got an epic waiting list)- I knew that I wanted a floral design and that I loved his style so much, I was pretty happy for him to go free-style on my arm. He drew it up and I sat for 6 hours non-stop (bar a 5 minute toilet break) Also no I do not have a low-pain threshold and yes it damn hurt. (My other one didn’t, but this is a half-sleeve and there’s a ridiculous amount of shading)
Here’s the finished product! I’ve thought a lot about whether to keep it going or not, but I’m definitely not committing until i’m 100%. This shit is for life haha!
Took Luke to see one of my fav musicals
I LOVE musicals. Like honestly I think if heaven exists it’s inside a theatre. I’ve got a top 10 list of my favs ready in my draft blogposts and this year I took Luke to see Phantom of the Opera. I bought us ridiculously overpriced stall-seats, but we were like 4 rows from the front and it was literally the best damn thing!
Went to Morocco
Can I just point out – look at my damn hair! Why do I never appreciate it when I have it? Anyway, I went to Morocco in March with some of my favourite girls. We stayed in Marrakech, right next to the Souks. It was honestly such a different holiday experience for me, because I felt like we were properly in the culture of the place and experiencing true Morocco, rather than just sitting on a beach.
Gotta say though, I do not rate Moroccan food. Plz never give me a tagine again.
Free-climbed a mountain
Christ if my mother knew I’d done this she’d probably flip, but this was amazing. We climbed the Atlas Mountain in Ourika Valley and to say it was scary would be an understatement. I mean, health and safety? Not a thing in Morocco. But we climbed all the way to the last waterfall. So damn proud.
Went to a Walking Dead convention
I’ve loved this show for years now, but Luke told me about Walker Stalker Con- a convention where fans and the cast can have photo-ops, watch panels and also there’s tons of stalls and merch. It was my first convention (I also did Comic-con later this year) but I had such an amazing time. Also found some weird ass resemblance to Carl… like genuinely I don’t think I look like him normally, but this photo would suggest we are basically related I stg. HA. I think the brown hair and tiny noses are throwing me off…
Went to Berlin for my first work live-tweeting conference
I dunno whether to put this in because tbh I was shitting my pants for this. I was asked by my office to fly to Germany to cover a two-day conference on Infrastructure. Yep, I don’t even really know how to spell Infrastructure. I was the on-site social media manager, and ya know what? I fucking smashed it. I was so proud of myself and this was such a career turning point for me to prove that I actually was really of value to the company.
Went to Dubai with my family
This is the first family holiday we’ve had in a while, just the four of us. It was such an interesting place to visit, plus I’ve never felt so relaxed. I literally spent a week lying in the sun, eating amazing food, being battered by the waves and reading books.
Plus a genuine highlight of mine and my sister’s life was watching my dad get knocked over by a wave.
I probably wouldn’t go back, just because it’s so expensive and commercial but I’m definitely glad that I’ve visited and seen the Burj in all it’s glory.
Saw Ed Sheeran live
I got my sister tickets to see Ed this year for her birthday (top sister award or what?) and it was one of the most incredible nights! We took a weekend trip up to Brum and aside from fainting (I was hot not just overwhelmed with love for him) it was an amazing evening all round.
Saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
It finally happened!! I’d bought cheap ass tickets in like 2015 for this, but FINALLY I got to experience the absolute magic of Harry Potter on stage. I won’t give any spoilers away but fuck me this is the best show I’ve ever seen. Like, jesus christ there are no words.
( This is also coming from someone who HATED the play when I read it. It defo translates better on the stage)
Had my 5-year school reunion
This was a weird one… How is it possible that it’s been 5 years since I left school?! It was SO nice to catch up with people that I’ve lost contact with and obviously hang out with the usual crew as well. My closest and best friends have all come from my time spent at school, so this was such a lovely way to celebrate the fact we’re all old ha!
Spent a weekend with my grandma in Oxford
There is nothing I would regret more in my life than not spending time with my grandparents. I miss both my granddads every single day- but I took Luke to her house in Oxford where I’d spent so much of my childhood. It was so lovely to show him around and spend some time in the cottage she has.
Celebrated my grandma’s 90th
This year, my other grandma hit 90! (Pray that I’ve picked up the longevity genes haha) We went to Somerset and had a little party for her. It was so lovely how happy she was to see all her family and friends.
Went to Dublin and saw Coldplay
I went insane this year. But I decided that I was going to get Luke the damn best present I could possibly imagine for his birthday. I know his favourite band is Coldplay but they were only playing in Ireland, so… I accidentally bought us plane tickets, a hotel and standing tickets to Coldplay in Croke Park. He says it’s still one of the best days of his life, so I think I won girlfriend points there. (Also shh but I think this tipped me into ‘wife material’ territory haha)
I didn’t realise how much I loved Coldplay until I saw them live, but holy shit can they put on a show!
Moved out of my family home
Yeah I went and grew up. Me and Luke got our first (rented) house together in 2017 and I love it. It’s the cosiest, snuggy little home and it’s so much closer to where I work. RESULT. Although, fuck me how expensive is life when you have to pay for everything yourself!?!?! #spoiltbrat
Went to NY and Toronto
Niagara Falls has been on my bucket list since I can remember, so we booked a September getaway to Toronto (so we could see the falls) and New York- as it’s one of my all-time favourite cities and Luke had never been.
The Toronto film festival was going on while we were there which was really cool- and hells I LOVE that city. It’s got so much character, the people are so great and we had an amazing few days there.
I’ve been to NY once before, but it was fun to take Luke around the tourist stuff and have a more relaxed holiday where we weren’t super pressured to tick a million things off the list. We also saw a show on broadway, which was fantastic.
Got engaged to the love of my life
While we were in New York another incredible thing happened this year- which was that we got engaged!! ARGHGHHGHGHGH. It was so perfect, vom vom vom I’m so gross and annoying but yep- defo a highlight of 2017.
Got two cat babies
My final highlight of the year was getting Woody and Buzz- our two beautiful kittens. They have the absolute best personalities ever, they’re so funny and honestly I love them more than anything haha! LOOK AT THEM THEY’RE SO PRECIOUS!
I know there is still Christmas and New Year to look forward to, but tbh I’m just excited to have a domestic and chilled December. It’s been a hella hectic year!
I’m still wondering if I’m ever going to be able to top this year ever again, because it was just so mental, but I’ve made a list of 18 things I’d like to do in 2018!
Here’s what I’m aiming for:
- Plan the wedding/ GET FRICKIN MARRIED. There’s so much to do and now we’ve set a date I’m fully-excited to throw myself into this!
- Read 50 books. This is still my goal. I’ve read 30 so far this year, but I know if I actually set my mind to it and stop slacking I can do this.
- Finish writing my damn book. It’s still not done- life took over ha! I am le worst.
- Go to the Edinburgh Fringe. My work bestie went this year and she made me so jealous of all the amazing shows that she got to see- I’d like that to be one of my summer holiday plans.
- Go to Thailand. I’ve not done any of that part of Asia and I’d really love to explore Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.
- See Gaga in concert. It’s happening in February and I’m so so damn excited I can’t even deal.
- See Thirty Seconds to Mars. I cannot believe that the last time I saw them was in 2011. I’m still a mega-fan and they are honestly the best band live EVER.
- Try CBT again for my anxiety and OCD. I’ve written a lot on the blog about my mental health, I’ve tried CBT and various talking therapies before, but I would really like to dedicate myself to it properly and try and puzzle out my mad little head.
- Do a pottery class. I dunno why I’ve got it in my head that I’d really like this… maybe I’ve watched Ghost too many times, but I’d really like to try this next year.
- Go Zorbing. I know I’m a child but like, why haven’t I done this yet! It seems so fun and not even that expensive.
- Keep writing my blog. I’ve loved every part of writing this and hopefully I’ll continue to share my little online life with you guys next year!
- See Taylor Swift live. She hasn’t announced her dates for Europe yet, but I’m ready (for it)
- Save some money. I am so bad at saving, I love spending and I really want to be able to buy a house one day- which is never going to happen if I keep buying bloody tickets to everything I fancy. (ooops)
- Have a weekend away with the girls. My friend Tash is turning 25, so we’re going to a spa for the weekend and I am SOOOO excited.
- Have tea at Sketch. I feel like everyone and their mother has done this except me. I wanna take lame ass selfies in their toilets and eat ridiculously expensive sandwiches!
- Go to the Beauty and the Beast afternoon tea. Best sister ever strikes again! I’ve booked this at Kensington Hotel for my family for my little sister’s birthday.
- Try a new sport. This year I’ve done a fair amount of rock climbing and I try and do something new every-year. This year I tried parkour (yes you can laugh at me I did look like this gif:)
18. Make a new friend. LOL why do I sound about 5-years-old when I write that? I’ve got some incredible best-girlfriends, a great school group, some lovely work people and a people here and there dotted around the country, but I’d really like to make some new connections. It’s always nice to have more people who you care about in your life, and I’d like to get out my comfort zone and meet some other people.
I guess the thing with this one is a confidence thing. I would probably be too shy to actually approach someone I’d never met in person, but I’d like to break that habit in 2018.
Hope you enjoyed! (jesus my fingers hurt from typing!)
What are your best moments of 2017 and goals for next year?